Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mystery Shopping

So a couple of weeks ago, my fellow workers were all abuzz because we had received a 100% score from a mystery shopper. What this means is that somebody comes into the store specifically to test whether or not we employees are doing everything that we are supposed to do. In this case that means greeting them within 6 seconds of entering the store, asking them an open-ended question, helping them find what they are looking for, recommending something in addition to what they are buying that is related, recommending one of the key items (which most of the time is not at all related), telling them our name, thanking them for their purchase, telling them to come back soon. And that's just for the person on the sales floor. The register person then has to tell their name, recommend another item or two, ask them if they want a gift card and/or gift receipt to go with their purchase, make sure they are a Rewards member, thank them for coming, say the customer's name, and tell them to come back soon. Phew! No wonder it is such a feat to get a 100% score.
In the case a couple of weeks ago, the two employees who accomplished this feat were given many pats on the back, kudos, and $25 gift cards to the store. Serious business.
And then, to everyones increased excitement and amazement we received another 100% score last week! Two in one month is suspicious enough, but what made it even more of a conundrum is the fact that sales floor winner was yours truly. When they told me I seriously thought it was a joke. It was early in the morning and they had all been in the store through the night rearranging books so in their delirium an email could have easily been misread.
But sure enough, even when the smoke and spiderwebs of the morning cleared, there was my name on the document. Am I becoming one of them despite all of my best efforts?

Happily, the description that the mystery shopper gave of her experience triggered the memory of that particular transaction and I am absolutely sure that I should not have gotten 100%. I certainly did help her find what she was looking for and even suggested additional items within that category (because it happened to be a genre that I get particularly excited about and like sharing recommendations of good books that I have actually read), but I am absolutely sure that I did not recommend one of our key items to her (because why on earth would she want me to tell her about some crappy novel that I have never read when she came in specifically to buy a cookbook). Phew. I am still a terrible employee after all.

1 comment:

  1. Well I hope you got a gift card out of it! And she probably gave you 100% because you DIDN'T bother her with all of that other crap. :)

    ReplyDelete